|Judy at Harvard, 2011.|
At this point, most people and probably all of our readers are familiar with MOOC (massive open online courses), which are offered for free (yes!) by some of the world's best universities. They are offered entirely online and all students can sign up, although a few courses are intended for advanced students in certain fields. We've written about MOOCs before, and we are delighted to see that more and more top universities in countries other than the U.S. are adding courses in other languages. Coursera now offers courses in a total of 12 languages.
A few weeks ago, we decided to take a Spanish-language class from the well-known Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México (it starts in February). Even though we attended part of elementary, all of middle school and part of high school in Mexico City, we haven't taken college-level classes in Spanish, so this should be a real treat. We also got our recently retired dad to sign up for the class (Scientific Thinking) with us, so it's a family activity! Coursera and EdX are our favorite MOOC platforms, and we've found many courses that might be a good fit for colleagues with very specific specializations and interest. Here are just a few:
- (In Spanish): Pensamiento científico. Offered by Coursera. --> We have signed up for this class!
- (In Spanish): Correctión y estilo en español. Offered by Coursera. --> We might take this one, too.
- (In German): Einführung in Computer Vision. Offered by Coursera.
- Understanding Europe: Why It Matters and What It Can Offer You. Offered by Coursera.
- Introduction to International Criminal Law. Offered by Coursera.
- English Common Law: Structure and Principles. Offered by Coursera.
- The Age of Sustainable Development. Offered by Coursera.
- Asset Pricing. Offered by Coursera.
- Drugs and the Brain. Offered by Coursera.
- Design and Interpretation of Clinical Trials. Offered by Coursera.
- Energy 101. Offered by Coursera.
- Principles of Written English. Offered by EdX.
- China. Offered by EdX.
- Introduction to Computer Science. Offered by EdX.
- Introduction to Statistics: Inference. Offered by EdX.
- Artificial Intelligence. Offered by EdX.
- The Challenges of Global Poverty. Offered by EdX.
- Terrorism and Counterterrorism. Offered by EdX.
- Electricity & Magnetism. Offered by EdX.
We are very strong believers in professional development, as evidenced by the dozens of conferences and workshops we attend in person every year. However, we've never taken a class at an Ivy League university, so this is quite a treat. Regardless of one's field of specialization or interest, there seems to be a MOOC out there that will deepen and broaden one's knowledge and insight. We can't wait to get started. What about you, dear colleagues? Have you taken a MOOC before? Tell us about your experiences!